UPCOMING EVENTS
STAY TUNED

Ghood Folk
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from synergizehiphop. Make your own badge here.

  • Ebony Elle
  • DNA (Baltimore's Mixtape King)
  • Ike Carter
  • Rob @ Brownstyle.net
  • Jeff
  • That Kid RADIO
  • DJ Reddz
  • DJ Lil Mic
  • Kelly (Photographer/Editor/PR)
  • MelaniN. (Photographer)
  • Missy
  • Moccaa Banks (OG)
  • Samir (Producer)
  • Tasha of Urban Voices
  • Ro Brooks (SNH)
  • Crushforce Promotions


  • UPDATED SITE *COMING SOON!!! Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    UPDATED SITE *COMING SOON!!!
    New Releases
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Blogs I Read
  • STREETZ MAG
  • HipHop-Blogs(dot)com
  • Pro Hip Hop
  • Government Names
  • Meandering Assholicism
  • Lynne D. Johnson
  • The 411 on the 410
  • Micki's Blog
  • Missy's Mental Musings
  • A Dirty South Perspective
  • Nah Right
  • Hip Hop Politics
  • Concrete Loop
  • George Bush's Blog
  • Grandma's Basement
  • The Kween
  • Hip Hop Ruckus
  • Street Fame (NEW BOOK)
  • Dino Mom
  • Straight outta NYC
  • Ghetto Manga
  • Música para Todos
  • Cool Links
  • C Love on MYSPACE
  • St. Frances Academy
  • datpiff(*FREE*) Mixtapes
  • Baltimore City Paper
  • AllHipHop.com
  • SOHH.com
  • BUST
  • INDUSTRY NEWS
  • WHU DAT?
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Hip Hop Press Releases
    Press
  • ITSBALTIMOREBABY! LIVE (8.30.06)
  • Part I (WYPR - 3.24.06)
  • Part II (WYPR - 3.24.06)
  • Part III (WYPR - 3.24.06)
  • Baltimore City Paper - Super Style Warz feedback (3.8.2006)
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Baltimore Sun LIVE - "Battles, Not Violence" (11.24.05)
  • ughh.com (9.26.05)
  • illmuzik.com (7.28.05)
  • Baltimore City Paper - "She's All That" (6.29.2005)
  • Videos I love
    Feb 13, 2006
    Oh...how soon we forget!
    Wu Tang Clan Ain't Nothing to F*ck Wit!
    I think I told myself that I didn't want to go see the Wu Tang Clan perform (2/12/06 @ Sonar) partly because I couldn't see myself paying $50 for a ticket (ego) and partly because while I loved the New York thug imagery (mysterious articulate tough guy)...I wasn't caught up in the pandamonium that can only be described as Wu Mania. Naaaaaaaaaaaah, Lemme stop lying! Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Before I forget.....Many thanks Top of the Hill Records. Yall are my peoples for real! Don't get me wrong....I liked quite a few songs by them - together, but always thought their sound prolly resonated most with young rambunctious men. It wasn't until "Cuban Linx" that they made an obvious song for the women. Ice Cream was that heat! I always thought they were trendsetters -- long before people were willing to fuse hip hop with other mediums-they were doin it. Their unique lingo & slang (the Wu were some very conscious dudes when you break down the content)....that sexy accent.....the gritty, complex tales turned timeless anthems [that can still turn a party out--to this day!] combined with the RZA's unique take on sampling and beat construction...made them a red dress at a black tie affair (think about the times). There was nothing jiggly pop or flashy about them. I think it was during this era [the 90's] that hip hop became the new punk. The Wu [then later MOP] were hip hop rockers and really cultivated the need for their brand of music. While it is not commercial in the classic sense, their music resonates with a wide spectrum of people. Their hooks and diverse personas are what stand out in my mind when considering what makes them easy to digest. I am not sure what came first -- my appreciation for anime and kung fu flicks or Wu Tang really emphazing it with their names and titles- but the whole culture/artform is intriguing me. I would be lying if I said what they "said" had no impact on which movie I picked up and in many cases, became my favorite. Best Kung Fu Flick, "Born Invincible"....OMG! you have got to see it...if you've seen it, you owe me some dap. Its amazing how that many super stars joined forces to take their message global. Also, too...I noticed an absense of egos on their first album (after watching their set). Method Man who later went on to be the break out artist of the group (IMO)...mainly contributed his flavor to hooks only. That is amazing in retrospect.
    *
    The Wu were scheduled to take the stage at 11:00pm. PorkChop (PC - 92Q Rap Attack) was holding it down as host for the evening and DJ Impulse was killin us softly on the tables. The crowd didnt seem to either know PC or care about him other than him being the one to introduce the Wu. I know he is not used to that-- everyone LOVES Pork. PC and Steez (Lander Sonar promotions) engaged in brotherly comraderie....hugging each other a few times! LOL! Dammit...if ever I needed a better camera. Impulse really did his thang!!! He all over the place with his musical selections, but I enjoyed how he made everything relevant. If I could have sat while he spun...it would have been so much better. He was on the stage rockin for the entire 3 hours or so before the Wu's DJ took ova. I was amazed at how cool he remained (and continue to not play Wu records...LOL!) .........through the repeated cycles of "WU WU WU WU WU WU WU WU WU WU" that would ripple through the warehouse every so often. I wonder if it was intentional? ....you know to make people want the Wu that much more? Touche' if you were playing with our head DJ Impulse.....it worked marvelousely darling. I will be looking for your name. I tell ya...the white boys can really spin. Not to descriminate...but its definitely a tribute to an educational system that encouraged an appreciation for all kinds of musical sounds (aka exposure). Another dude...Krucial (Third Kind)--BEAST!! Its time to integrate some more parties!!!
    *
    All the wu were there ...when they finally took the stage about 11:45 PM ...One by one they filed out.... (not in actual order)
    Ol' Dirty Bastard (was most def their in spirit)
    Cappadona (who by the way....kilt it! He really is Wu!)
    They all looked really good too.
    *
    Method Man is still the sexiest Wu. His energy and willingness to put it all on the line at a LIVE show is remarkable. He seemed to be going for the reaction everytime--whether it was balance beaming the edge of the stage (early on) ...crowd diving backwards (as the night progressed). And to think...I think he had on a thermal top & I still found him utterly irresistable. When he performed M-E-T-H-O-D MAN....I thought I was gonna fall out, but I was quickly snapped back into reality by several grown ass men thrashing into one another and me in the process of them showing their excitement. I realized last night that for many, The Wu were their first introduction to the "black subcultural" and under belly known as "poverty with pride". We all know pride can lead to some very distructive behavior. I remember the first time I heard Raekwon utter those now famous words (from C.R.E.A.M).......... I was hooked from the jump: (LOL! I know you can already hear ODB humming or chanting - whatever it is he was doing in the background)
    I grew up on the crime side, the New York Times side
    Staying alive was no jive
    Had second hands, moms bounced on old man
    So then we moved to Shaolin land
    A young youth, yo rockin the gold tooth, 'Lo goose
    Only way, I begin to G' off was drug loot
    And let's start it like this son, rollin with this one
    And that one, pullin out gats for fun
    But it was just a dream for the teen, who was a fiend
    Started smokin woolies at sixteen
    And running up in gates, and doing hits for high stakes
    Making my way on fire escapes
    No question I would speed, for cracks and weed
    The combination made my eyes bleed
    No question I would flow off, and try to get the dough off
    Sticking up white boys in ball courts
    My life got no better, same damn 'Lo sweater
    Times is ruff and tuff like leather
    Figured out I went the wrong route
    So I got with a sick ass click and went all out
    Catchin keys from across seas Rollin in MPV's,
    every week we made forty G's
    Yo nigga respect mine, or anger the tech nine
    Ch-chick-POW! Wu from the gate now
    Can you feel that?
    That description was so vivid....you could feel that man's pain. The Chef [on that day] was a master story teller (griot). He laid out a scenario and I could see it. Although I've heard the GZA describe the meager means with which they created their early works...it is that basement studio sounds that will forever define an era. You couldn't make a Wu 36 Chambers album today. One of the unexpected highlights of the evening. Ghostface had the DJ play "Laffy Taffy" and proceeded to make fun of it. Commenting on its mediocracy. While I wholeheartedly agreed, I had fun enciting the people around me by singing and dancing along with DL4. I think they are clowns and the song is so stupid, but it works. I think the North's problem is that they want to call the Southern rap music junk instead of working on good Northern music. You NEVER hear Southern artists go on a Northerm slur campaign. Humilty is in needed.....but none the less it was still funny to see Ghost's super sexy ass make fun of the song. His laugh was soooo hot! #%@$@&!*$^ I think I want to have his love child now...LOL! No body before them nor after (IMO) has made you want to know more about where they are from despite it being the grimiest of the grimiest. If only Bmore could perfect this art. I now see why people often compare the Dipset with the Wu. While I think its premature to really engage in any real debate about the validity of this opinion, I do think that the dipset is embraced for many of the same reasons Wu fans did with them early on. I wonder if DipSet considers the Wu as their role models. Now, how do we get these brothers to use that influence for good? (That is another topic!) The venacular (NYC baby! almost another language)...the pride in how they "get by" (whatever means required)....the "take me as I am" approach to packaging and marketing and cult like adoration of millions of fans is proof that selling records now-a-days is much more about have a message/movement that people can get behind. I noticed it similarily at the KRS One show...sadly, hip hop for a good majority of black people is the music of youth...But there is hope....the people I saw last night will ensure that (like The Grateful Dead or Rolling Stones) the Wu will live on forever.
    *
    Back to the show.......my mind wanders
    I must report that there were few black people in the spot. For some that is a GREAT! ("No n*ggas...groovy hip hop vibes with love and positivity") or WTF? (How you gonna have a hip hop show --let alone the MF*IN WU???? & there be no colored folk in the front row???) The air in the spot was weird not sure the best way to explain it from my perspective. I'll just give you one scenario & ima let it go cause I don't want to offend the priets, right wing conservates, Bush cronnies and nice soccer moms who I'd like to continue reading my blog.
    *
    *
    Yall know how much the Wu say nigga....LOL!
    Just imagine a room full of people saying every last word and sound except nigga...LOL! That ish was hillarious...and the real self-conscious ones (the ones that haven't made up their minds about whether its a bad word or not or they've decided that they don't mean it in the "slave master to Toby" way)...were looking at me (an prolly the nearest colored person to see what the reaction was- at them saying it or leaving it out)...LOL! Next weird thing or "interesting" observation....white people enjoy "rowdy" music waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different that most African Americans. You could be my favorite act in the world....i could want so bad to tell my neighbor what a glorious sensation this person brings me (sounds like im in church -halelujah), but I won't. I still have to maintain my cool. Yall trust your fellow man a whole lot more than we do [on average...LOL!] Ima stay in the square I paid for and enjoy the show and be really really really offended if you get too close.......so it should come as no surprise when I say jumping around wild and uncontrollably while pumping your fists and swaying whenever compelled is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of the freakin question. I got "a lil closer" to more people than I ever wanted. Some asshole got a free squeeze of my ba-dunk too...shit's so childish! Was I looking like some "feel me up" hoochie last night?
    There were several opening acts that can't really remember. The first group was very close to getting booed off the stage-literally. That was funny! -- sorry. Someone should have told them where they were...[WELCOME TO BALTIMORE CITY] especially the female accompaniment with the pink & orange mo hawk. See..I was feelin it...it was on a Philly Afro Punk - Macy Gray kinda groove. Very show bizzy and theatrical, but this was a Wu Reunion show...WOW! Who owed who $$$ and so they figured putting this group on would even the debt. They really enhanced the mood in the smoke filled room of die hard Wu fans waiting to thrash themselves [or another] around. It was all Tres' bizzare. Theodore Unit was in the buildin! They performed a song or 2...well the most popular member was there anyway...where were the rest of the guys- I don't know???
    *
    The beauty of live performance is that it can make you want to learn more about the artist. I advise my clients to perform as much as possible. Last night makes me want to pull out the Wu Double album (that one had a few nice cuts on there) and wild out alone....looks like it might be kinda fun to do it...provided I can guaranteed I wont get hit with a stray elbow or hard foot on my big toe (some fool got me good last night!). I might even go out and buy 36 Chambers or Tical (that was my favorite Method Man album). Last night was a great night....hung out with my people from Top of the Hill Records (Bunnie and Tim--I will be writing something on them soon), Kelly (who I know got some pulitzer prize (for photo journalism)-- winning pics), Third Kind (Fat Boi and Robbenbeatz), Kariz (Bangin Beats) and even met up with my partner in rhyme...P-Funk! Wish I would have got to meet them or take a pic, but I still have time. The music was awesome despite a few sound glitches. I am so glad I was able to go. Oh &...........I know my pics suck...I am taking donations towards the camera I want...... anyways [smarty]....I went to the show..you didn't.... you should be happy im willing to share my joy...do you know how rare that is today...LOL!
    *
    *
    Lata!
    Jethro (liquor Box)






    Why did I post those?...... If you were there....you would respect these pics!!!! You would understand the drama I went through for them to be possible.....This TRULY was a historic event!

    WU FAN 4 LIFE!!!


    posted by C Love "The Rap Addict" @ 2/13/2006 07:20:00 PM  
    7 Comments:
    • At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      sounds like a great show. too bad i missed it but $50 was way too rich for my blood. lol@the white ppl wildin out and in general actin a fool. u know whats weird tho? me and my girl @ that time went to that recent de la soul show @ sonar, and it was the same way. people bumpin into us and shit. good thing i love de la or id've been quite pissed off

       
    • At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 11:02:00 PM, Blogger n/a said…

      Sorry about the silly white people. That jostling fool factor is why I stopped going to dance clubs long before I became a Dinosaur Mom. But I do have some sympathy for the oops! factor in singing along merrily with your favorite song and then tripping over the n-word. So here's the etiquette question -- is uttering the n-word okay for white people when it occurs in the context of singing along with a song? If not, which of the many radio-edit substitutes is acceptable? Or should I just stick to singing long with the radio alone in my mini-van?

       
    • At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Great recap, sort of like a gift and a curse-- I get the play by play and save 50 bucks, but then it was so descriptive I'm mad I missed it. And she referenced wikipedia-- great blog

       
    • At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:25:00 PM, Blogger C Love "The Rap Addict" said…

      Thanks for the comments everyone! Tif I feel ya! And you know Im down with Wicki. I got chewed out terrible for posting someone’s pics with out referencing them recently….I am learning more about how to do this bloggin thing. But can you tell…I LOVE IT! This is me freestyling! And to the Pittsburgh fan….yes! I had to say all that!

      LOL @ Dino Mom! Thanks for reading & responding....

      That is an interesting question you pose. While part of me objects to your use of the word...I understand why you feel compelled to do so.

      I appreciate the fact that other races see the beauty in the culture and..... unfortunately, the use of nigga has always been part of that.

      ...so it would really be throwing out the baby with the bath water to get angry with you b/c you are only emulating what you see.

      You are not alone...black folk that like country music prolly make all the weird “twang” sounds when they sing it too. LOL! Please note: I wasn’t saying country is white people music or the only music that is okay for them to like or that it is the equivalent of rap…LOL!

      My advice to you is only use it publicly when you have made a conscious decision to examine why you can't say it (or should I say …why you should think twice about saying it) in a room full of black strangers. Don't use it cause you are in a room full of your own and think you won't get a beat down. If you use it know why , be proud and prepared to deal with repercussions (if there are any).

      Just because everyone's is running around town saying "No Homo" (Cam'Ron) doesn't mean I am going to add it to my vocab simply b/c its the in thing to do. It comes down to how you were raised…if you didn’t grow up saying why now. I think some people do it to be smart!

       
    • At Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:13:00 AM, Blogger Inside Man said…

      I wanted to go to this show so bad but I had to work that night and couldn't get out of it. I saw Wu-Tang in Nebraska (<--err strange?) back in 2002 and the show was excellent. Their were a lot of white people too but the energy and response to the music was still very intense.

       
    • At Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:16:00 AM, Blogger Inside Man said…

      I'm suprised that U-God was there as much as he be bad mouthing The Rza in the press. But then again that tour money is might handy when your putting out any albums.

       
    • At Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:18:00 AM, Blogger n/a said…

      Lord knows, I have no intention of using the word in any context. That's on my bar-of-soap-in-the-mouth list for the little dinos. Just curious. I used to follow spoken word events in Baltimore a few years ago and I enjoy your blog a lot.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: C Love "The Rap Addict"
    Home: BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, United States
    About Me: I LOVE LIFE! HIP HOP IS MY HEART! I'M THE HOST OF NO GUTS NO GLORY: THE ULTIMATE SKILLZ CHALLENGE (BALTIMORE, MD) EVERY 4TH THURSDAY OF THE MONTH @ 5 SEASONS
    See my complete profile
    Recent Posts
    Chatter Box
    IN CASE YOU MISSED IT!
    "Fire and Brimstone" Video Shoot
    Reviews
    Rap / Hip Hop
    Spoken Word
  • 5th L
  • Olu Butterfly
  • HGE
  • E the Poet Emcee (TLE)
  • Rebecca Dupas
  • LOVE (TLE)
  • My Life
    Props
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER