UPCOMING EVENTS
STAY TUNED

Ghood Folk
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from synergizehiphop. Make your own badge here.

  • Ebony Elle
  • DNA (Baltimore's Mixtape King)
  • Ike Carter
  • Rob @ Brownstyle.net
  • Jeff
  • That Kid RADIO
  • DJ Reddz
  • DJ Lil Mic
  • Kelly (Photographer/Editor/PR)
  • MelaniN. (Photographer)
  • Missy
  • Moccaa Banks (OG)
  • Samir (Producer)
  • Tasha of Urban Voices
  • Ro Brooks (SNH)
  • Crushforce Promotions


  • UPDATED SITE *COMING SOON!!! Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    UPDATED SITE *COMING SOON!!!
    New Releases
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Blogs I Read
  • STREETZ MAG
  • HipHop-Blogs(dot)com
  • Pro Hip Hop
  • Government Names
  • Meandering Assholicism
  • Lynne D. Johnson
  • The 411 on the 410
  • Micki's Blog
  • Missy's Mental Musings
  • A Dirty South Perspective
  • Nah Right
  • Hip Hop Politics
  • Concrete Loop
  • George Bush's Blog
  • Grandma's Basement
  • The Kween
  • Hip Hop Ruckus
  • Street Fame (NEW BOOK)
  • Dino Mom
  • Straight outta NYC
  • Ghetto Manga
  • Música para Todos
  • Cool Links
  • C Love on MYSPACE
  • St. Frances Academy
  • datpiff(*FREE*) Mixtapes
  • Baltimore City Paper
  • AllHipHop.com
  • SOHH.com
  • BUST
  • INDUSTRY NEWS
  • WHU DAT?
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Hip Hop Press Releases
    Press
  • ITSBALTIMOREBABY! LIVE (8.30.06)
  • Part I (WYPR - 3.24.06)
  • Part II (WYPR - 3.24.06)
  • Part III (WYPR - 3.24.06)
  • Baltimore City Paper - Super Style Warz feedback (3.8.2006)
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Baltimore Sun LIVE - "Battles, Not Violence" (11.24.05)
  • ughh.com (9.26.05)
  • illmuzik.com (7.28.05)
  • Baltimore City Paper - "She's All That" (6.29.2005)
  • Videos I love
    Jan 11, 2006
    Cultivating a music scene

    I know its very seldom that I get very deep on here, but I have a question on my mind...walk with me . This is the kind of challenge that keeps me going!

    Everyone knows I am working very hard to make Hip Hop attractive to non-performers in Baltimore, but feel like there is very little hope everytime show up at another well planned, but poorly attended event. Soooooooo.....I am posing this question to those of you floating around in cyber space....regardless of where you are....WHAT CAN BE DONE TO SPARK UP INTEREST WHEN THERE IS VERY LITTLE? Sure there is a lot of crap out here, but some of it is actually pretty good. I don't care what kind of music you likee....I am still very much interested in your response. In my case, the music is hip hop....although I would be equally as passionate if it were another kind of music that I was championing. We can learn a lot from one another.

    • What are some of the messages that have to be relayed to potential partygoers (non-rappers) about Baltimore's Hip Hop scene? or the one in your area?
    • What are better ways for promoter to market a party/hip hop event?
    • Performer: What if anything will improve your chances of people coming out? Fan: What kind of artists are fun to come out/who are some of your local favorites (wherever you are)?

    what are your thoughts? It is my hope that we can get to the meat and potatoes of what each of us is not doing to improve our local music scene and what each of us can do to assist each other.
    My qoute for the day: YOU must be the change you want to see in the world- Ghandi

    Support comes in many different forms. To me, showing up to giving my last $5 or $10 does not constitute support. Support comes from people being genuinely attracted to you. I am willing to hand out flyers, sell tickets (if I can get a cut), give your CDs to people that are in positions to offer you opportunities for shows*, post events on my blog (which is really coming along nicely-Thank you!).....whatever.... so until you've asked everyone for help ...you haven't exhausted all of your resources. If you want help...you need to ask for it specifically.
    I am asking for help to figure out how we can get more ppl to come to shows...what are your suggestions? Let's come up with a collective plan for 06...let's all become Baltimore Hip Hop's Street Team. The number #1 inhibitor alot of time is PRICE. Rock groups give $3 shows b/c they are more interested in being heard. People here want to use shows to fund their European tours....that is hillarious! There is not a lot of money to be made by an unknown local act playing in front of people that could care less. How do you make people care?

    There is nothing wrong with starting with a small venue with low over head and build your way up to a bigger venue. $10-$15 (shit, $20 in some cases ) to get into an event where a good time is not guaranteed is not my ideal Saturday night. I like hip hop...so imagine how do you think the people who think its all garbage are gonna react when they hear about an expensive local show. I think people are a little too ambitious and count their hip hop chickens before they hatch. The emphasis in 2006 should be more about filling the spot. Give away 25-50 free tix...get ppl in the door. Allow artists to sell tix....this has worked wonderful with SW. We try to make people feel like SW is a community event. Everyone can eat off of it- not just the promoters and performers either. People have a vested interest in the success of the event. I have ppl that are mad at me if I don't give them flyers to give out. Word of mouth is the most effective marketing tool and it costs nothing but time. In the meantime, got to be out there spreading your message. Hip Hop Lives! I can see it, why can so many of you? Gimme your 2 cent!
    *don't even ask me if I haven't asked you
    posted by C Love "The Rap Addict" @ 1/11/2006 02:36:00 PM  
    3 Comments:
    • At Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:59:00 AM, Blogger Inside Man said…

      That's a starving question that all my friends always ask me: "Why doesn't B-more have a hip hop scene/uber hip hop artist representing. It's beyond me because Baltimore has so much culture and urban aesthetic that its way past due to receive recognition on a national scale.

      I grew up here and know that there is a genuine love for hip hop and rap artist show the city a lot of love. My suggestion to improve the hip hop scene is:

      A) flood the radio stations with quality demo's (<---obvious answer)
      B) Mc's need more matarial then "Thug raps." Get smart on some real topics
      C) slow down a house music beat and make it a trademark B-more hip hop sound.
      D) Push B-more to rep the the "mid-atlantic" instead of the east coast because every region has there staple. New York and Jersey have the East, the south has there thing going, and the west is there own entity. Most heads don't know what region to brand B-More a part of, so I'm like F it we can our own.
      E)Have niggas rap on a house joint like they do in the UK. It's fast but I'm pretty sures heads can adapt.
      F) Promote more local artist at the annual events (ie. AFRAM)
      G)Host a major Fight Club (rap battle) in the city. Invite the big names...

      Sorry for filling up your blogspot but this topic sits on my brain daily. Good post, I'll be checking you out for more......

       
    • At Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:08:00 PM, Blogger Al said…

      good dialogue starter, I've thought about it a lot and wish I had more ideas of my own. I think the ticket price issue is a good one to bring up, though, I try to be real supportive of everybody but if they charge $25 to get in to make a show seem more important it's gonna become less of a priority for me to check out.

       
    • At Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:32:00 PM, Blogger C Love "The Rap Addict" said…

      Hey guys, thank you so much for your comments. I am not sure about why I was unable to post a comment until now. anyways.......

      I feel everything both of you are saying. It is especially refreshing to get feedback from folk who are not involved in the same capacity as I.

      I just hope that people start to come out to shows and see that there is a wealth of talent here.

      As for subject matter...I think for many...this is the first time they were able to express themself without the fear of criticism or self-consciousness. Who can tell you that your raps are grammatically incorrect??? LOL!

      I think as time goes on ...people will spend more time crafting songs, but for right now...its like a 16 year old a new driver's license....they have gas on their chests. once they calm down...I would imagine the music will improve.

      Also, with people like Boss man, D.O.G., Huli Shalone working along side proven hit makers....better more "radio & club friendly" songs will be made. I think 06 will be a great year for Baltimore music.

      Thanks again for the feedback...keep it coming!

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: C Love "The Rap Addict"
    Home: BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, United States
    About Me: I LOVE LIFE! HIP HOP IS MY HEART! I'M THE HOST OF NO GUTS NO GLORY: THE ULTIMATE SKILLZ CHALLENGE (BALTIMORE, MD) EVERY 4TH THURSDAY OF THE MONTH @ 5 SEASONS
    See my complete profile
    Recent Posts
    Chatter Box
    IN CASE YOU MISSED IT!
    "Fire and Brimstone" Video Shoot
    Reviews
    Rap / Hip Hop
    Spoken Word
  • 5th L
  • Olu Butterfly
  • HGE
  • E the Poet Emcee (TLE)
  • Rebecca Dupas
  • LOVE (TLE)
  • My Life
    Props
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER